Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day One

So I FINALLY got some internet access. Most homes and hotels in Italy don't have internet so you have to go to an internet store, and pay for internet - but its been hard to figure that all our (and I'm a little too cheap to pay for internet use). I wrote a journal everyday since I've been here so here is my first journal entry. Enjoy!


June 7th 
6:45 pm Italy.


So I go to the airport, and finding my way downtown and to this hotel was no problem at all. I got my luggage (happily it all showed up!) I got my passport stamped (after I found out that I went through the wrong line up - the italian citizens line up - and then had to re line up. Then I made my way through the airport to find the train that would take me downtown. On my way I found this calling card vending machine thingy, and so I decided to buy a calling card so that I could call Bevan and let him know that I got here okay, and that I love him. So I put my 10 Euro into the machine and the stupid thing never gave me my stinkin’ calling card. I was pretty ticked about it, but too tired and anxious to get to my hotel and relax to try to find someone to figure it out for me. So I went to the train station, got on the sweltering hot train (apparently Italians don’t believe in AC, and made my way to Termini (the main transport hub of Rome)
When I got to Termini I could either walk to my hotel from there (its really not far) or take the Metro (subway) one stop to be a little closer. Initially I had decided that I was going to walk, but when I got to Termini it was SO HUGE that I couldn’t figure out which way to go out. So I decided to follow the signs to the Metro instead because that was more structured. I figured out how to pay for the Metro ride (only 1 Euro) and took it one stop, and then from there it was pretty simple to find the hotel. I got to the hotel and there were these scary, big wooden doors that were locked, so i figured that maybe there was another entrance around the corner of the building, but I was wrong. So I came back to the scary wooden doors and saw that there was an intercom thingy, so I pushed the button, and some woman came on the phone and asked me if I had a reservation. I told her the information I had, and the big wooden door unlocked and as I pushed it open, the woman on the intercom in her thick accent said, “second floor”. So I walked up to the second floor, and there was another smaller wooden locked door, AND another intercom. I pushed the button and the woman said, “one moment.” The next thing I know, some dude in calling me from the stairway above (at first I had no idea that it was ME he was calling) but he came down the stairs more and made eye contact with me and said that I had to go to the third floor for my room. So I followed him and came up to the third floor, and he knocked on the door and Liz answered. She's a girl who is also attending the same prgram as me, and is from New Jersey. We made plans last month to meet in Rome and share a hotel. 

Before I did anything else, I really wanted to call Bevan so I told her that I was going to go figure it out. She said she wanted to come with me because she needed to call her mom. So Liz and I went walking down the street to find an internet cafe or a calling card or something, anything. Not too far away we found an internet/phone place. I wouldn’t call it a cafe, because it was just a room with computers in a row, and these glassed in individual phone cubbies. For some reason their phones wouldn’t call Bevan. I actually think its because they would connect my phone to Canada first, and then I was supposed to dial the number. But when I asked them if I should dial the country code (1) they kept nodding their heads, ‘yes,’ but I think that when they connect me to Canada they already do that part, and so I kept entering the country code for a second time, and it wouldn’t go through. That place really reaked of urine anyways!! I was glad to leave. So Liz and I went in search of another solution and we found a ‘tobacchi’ store (like a convenience store) and bought a couple of calling cards there. Then we went to find a payphone where we could use it. When we finally found one we had to figure out how to use the stupid thing, and then finally I got to talk to my love! Oh man, I miss my Bevan. 

1 comment:

  1. Robyn,
    I have so enjoyed your blog, I laughed, I cried, I so wish I was there too. I also heard that the airports are on strike in Italy so if you have to, just keep having a great holiday. As for phoning, do you guys know about Skype. You can call for like a penny a minute, more ore less anywhere in the world from your computer. Skype to Skype is free. Thanks for sharing and all the great pics. You look great! Miss your man and your man miss you but enjoy the experience. Love you, Aunt Irene

    ReplyDelete